Mumps is a Notifiable Condition.
Health care providers in Chelan and Douglas counties, please contact the Chelan-Douglas Health District at 509-886-6400 if you have a suspect case. We will guide you through the testing and shipping process.
Legal Reporting Requirements
- Health care providers: notifiable to local health jurisdiction within 24 hours
- Health care facilities: notifiable to local health jurisdiction within 24 hours
- Laboratories: Mumps virus, acute, by IgM positivity or PCR positivity notifiable to local health jurisdiction within 24 hours; specimen submission is required – isolate or clinical specimen associated with positive result (2 business days)
Purpose of Reporting and Surveillance
- To assess the burden of mumps in Washington.
- To identify cases and prevent further spread from cases by recommending appropriate preventive measures, including exclusion.
- To educate potentially exposed individuals about signs and symptoms of disease, thereby facilitating early diagnosis and reducing the risk of further transmission.
- To identify and vaccinate susceptible individuals.